Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Model 19 HF driver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Model 19 HF driver

    In my post, below, I talked about mounting the Valencia components in a Model 19 enclosure. So I have 416z woofers 811b horns and 806a drivers. The system is bi-amplified with xo at 1200, 24dB/oct LR.

    I believe the 19's came with 802d drivers.

    Comparing them with the 902 drivers, the 802d's are more sensitive, but the 902's have the tangerine phase plug.

    Given I am bi-amping, what is your recommendation: stick with the 806a, find 802d's, find 902's or go to Great Plains and buy whatever they sell?

    thanks
    les

  2. #2
    HB Super Moderator
    Model 19 HF driver


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    The 19's came with 802-8G's I hope this helps as the 802-8g's are easy to acquire.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    The 19's came with 802-8G's
    True, but I think later model 19's came with 902's. (1980-1983)

    Russ

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    Model 19 HF driver


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Quote Originally Posted by Russnohio View Post
    True, but I think later model 19's came with 902's. (1980-1983)

    Russ

    Yes I know they came with 902's later in production (very few) compared to how many with 802-8G's but he inquired about the 802d so that is why i posted that.I figured you knew that.One other thing worth mentioning is alot of the 802-8G's came with a "Lite" diaghram the 23744 which lends to it sounding very nice.Many feel this is the best sounding small format diaghram that Altec made, I have to say it is a favorite of mine too,but very fragile.Regards :2thumbsup:

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member AltecLansingFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Quote Originally Posted by les winter View Post
    In my post, below, I talked about mounting the Valencia components in a Model 19 enclosure. So I have 416z woofers 811b horns and 806a drivers. The system is bi-amplified with xo at 1200, 24dB/oct LR.

    I believe the 19's came with 802d drivers.

    Comparing them with the 902 drivers, the 802d's are more sensitive, but the 902's have the tangerine phase plug.

    Given I am bi-amping, what is your recommendation: stick with the 806a, find 802d's, find 902's or go to Great Plains and buy whatever they sell?

    thanks
    les


    Forget all of this, the model 19 sounds the best with the 288 or 291

    I listened to the model 19 many years with the 1" drivers, but believe me try the big ones.
    You can use the 511E, but also, and maybe better the EV HR60
    For use in living rooms always those the 60 degree horns, because of the wall reflection, why most houses have relatively small rooms, comparing with theaters.
    If you try this, you don't want anything else.

    I still use this system, and i am more than happy with it, and I can promise you, nowhere you can find a model 19 system, that sounds better.
    My friend was deserting to JBL in the '90, now he owns a pair JBL K2 S9800, but he still loves my system very much, I can see that when he visits me, and we play some music (maybe he loves it more than his own, but he will never admit that)

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Quote Originally Posted by AltecLansingFan View Post
    Forget all of this, the model 19 sounds the best with the 288 or 291
    In your opinion. But of course the speaker is no longer a Model 19 then.

    This reminds me of when you criticize a Klipsch speaker and the response is "No, they're great; you just gotta use tubes, replace the mid driver, replace the mid horn, use a different crossover and oh yeah, a different tweeter too."

    To get back to the OP, if the intention is to clone a Model 19 an 802-G or 902 should be used. If bi-amping one needs to provide EQ to mimic the EQ in the 19's passive crossover (if the intent is to mimic the 19). I'm given to understand that the GPA 902 is identical to the Altec 902.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member just me now's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 17th, 2004
    Posts
    230
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    good points on authenticity....

    OTOH, the lower distortion offered by the larger throat drivers is not insignificant...
    but then you have upper end 'air' to handle also....


    (generally correct?)

    if you decide to fart around with different, non-standard configurations, if you have the capacity also try tinkering with filter slope/point/type(s) also...
    that was a big eye opener for me personally...
    .........................
    dave's not hear

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Well thanks for the input. Anybody got a pair of 802 or 902 drivers for sale?

    thanks
    Les

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member theebadone's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2009
    Posts
    58
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 HF driver

    Couldn't he use the 806s with a 30904 eq/att with that set-up? If i happened upon a nice set of 19 cabinets, I would put the original drivers in them. But thats just me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.